Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Better Than A Win

I watched this soccer match the other night and the opposing team was getting stomped, but what I remember even more than the score or the goals made, was this young woman. I know they were down three points and I don't remember noticing her that much before, but it seemed like suddenly she was ON and played like this was the final match in a big tournament.
I knew the feeling well. Once long ago I played in a doubles tennis league and we were getting stomped by a couple of guys that had sandbagged their way into our recreational league. My partner had already given up, and the guys on the other side of the net were laughing and joking to each other about where they were going to get beer after they finished with us. I don't remember the score or much of anything else, except that feeling of cold water running down my back and my eyes bulging. I never left the net except to serve after that and my only purpose was to hit the ball right between their feet. I didn't want to win...I wanted respect. I played about 30 minutes of the best tennis I ever played in my life and only now wish that I could summon that feeling whenever I wanted it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment